If you are skiing this year and want to get the most from your holiday then you need to start your preparation NOW!
Follow my top tips to ski fitness and you'll be spending longer on the slopes, avoiding the burning muscles and giving yourself a better change of remaining injury free.
Top Tips to Ski Fitness
1. My very top tip is to start NOW!
Ideally you need at least 6 weeks to get yourself physically fit for skiing. Preparation for the intense physical exertion of skiing combined with the effects of altitude and cold takes time and requires a very specific programme of exercises.
2. Fit in 2-3 aerobic fitness sessions of 20 - 60 minutes each week.
It's simple, the better your level of cardiovascular fitness the longer you will be able to ski for. Try cycling, running even ice skating or using gym equipment such as the cross trainer.
3. Add 1-2 Resistance training sessions each week.
Improving your muscular strength will help you ski for longer without feeling the burn. It will also help strengthen your knees, one of the areas of the body most prone to injury from skiing. Include exercises such as squats, lunges, dead lifts and press ups.
4. Strengthen your core.
A stronger core will help you ski more efficiently and prevent back ache. Pilates exercises are the best, but you could try adding the Plank to every workout.
5. Improve your flexibility.
Don't forget to stretch. The more flexible the muscles the less likely you are to sustain an injury. Focus on the legs; hamstrings, calf's and quads are particularly important, but add some shoulder stretches too.
Yes, skiing requires a lot of preparation. But if your time is limited then I have two quick and easy options for you:-
1. If you are local to Swanmore then come along to our Ski Fit class starting Wednesday 2nd November 7pm at Swanmore College. Vanessa will be providing a progressive programme covering all the sports specific fitness requirements. For more information contact Debbie on 07946 301474.
2. Sign up to our Ski Fit Online Members Page. Train when and where you want using our 10 -15 minute targeted online workouts. The plan includes a 6 week flexible and progressive ski fit programme with variations available if you have less than 6 weeks until your trip and your 5 sports specific workouts.
With over 20 years experience in the fitness industry, Debbie's philosophy is to provide results driven, progressive but functional training solutions that fit in to our
Sign-up today to receive our Newsletters and get a
FREE ONLINE WORKOUT
Call to find out more: